DFWscooterist.com

where dallas/ft. worth-area scooter riders and enthusiasts stay informed and get involved
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 50cc Big Bore Kits?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:06 am 
Weekend Buzzer

Scooter Model(s): TaoTao CY50-B
Has anybody put a big bore kit on their 50cc, and if so, were you pleased with the results? Is there anyone local that installs those? (Probably not since technically not legal, but thought I'd ask).

Post subject: Re: 50cc Big Bore Kits?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:56 am 
Resident Historian

Scooter Model(s): Occasionally
Shops do install those, but the problem you may encounter is finding someone to work on a Tao Tao. I know of one person that had a 70cc kit installed on a brand name scooter. He rode it for a while and bought a Buddy 125, and I know he had recurring mechanical troubles with the 70cc.

Something to consider - If your engine is a 2-stroke, installation isn't that difficult. If it's a 4-stroke, installation is more expensive due to the added complication actually having valves. You might consider seeing what the parts and labor would cost, how much you can get for your Tao Tao now, and just roll that into a brand name larger scooter. Any additional cash you had to come up with would be money well spent.

I can tell you're serious because you've gone through the hoop-jumping, spent some money and time in a riding class, and that's the only reason I'm attempting to give you some decent advice. You might hold off on kitting it and just go to a good dealer and test ride a scooter that would better fit your needs (Moxie, Vespa Dallas, one of the Honda or Yamaha dealers). If new is too much, they sometimes have good used scooters that would be so much better, long-term. There is a couple in here that just traded almost new 125cc scooters and bought motorcycles. That's just another thought.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:30 pm 
Distance Rider

Scooter Model(s): Buddy 125
20 more cc was really not worth it. I think I had a 4 mph gain. The 70 cc head did not fit that great so I went back to a 50 cc. Carbon build up was a problem. I think a 90 cc kit would be better or a water cooled 70 cc. if they made them. I bought a 125 later on.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:24 pm 
Distance Rider

Scooter Model(s): 1967 vespa gt, leahs pink et4' and a restored 1964 allstate
back when i had my aprilia scarabeo 50 i was happy with just my hop up pipe, i was hitting 55mph which i felt was great for a 50cc scoot, we also did the same with my wifes yamaha vino, hers would run like a bat out of hell with that leo vinci pipe on it... after many years i think it took a toll on the motor though after a while it had issues, but dang it would hit a power band and fly... so long story short check on pipes and carb upjetting if its a 2 stroke, you can do these bolt on mods easier and cheaper... just my 2 cents... aslo like they said after you r comfy with speeds on a 50cc its always better to just trade up to a quicker bike, cuz when ever you do mods on any thing its never perfect and you will alsways adjusting and tinkering, so if you like tinkering have at it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:42 pm 
Scooter Legend

Scooter Model(s): Vespa GTS & PX200E, Allstate Cruisaire
JPB wrote:
Has anybody put a big bore kit on their 50cc, and if so, were you pleased with the results? Is there anyone local that installs those? (Probably not since technically not legal, but thought I'd ask).

What is the top speed of your Long Wang Tao Ta?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:39 pm 
Weekend Buzzer

@crashtest - Thanks for your extensive advice. I've poured over the internet on this topic and all roads lead to just buying a 150 and not worrying about upgrading the 50 motor. No question I should have gone with a 150 in the first place, but I only had $800 to spend and 'scooter lust' overcame me and ended up going with the Tao Tao. I love it, but maxes out full throttle at 40 on the flats, and I ride Mockingbird a lot where the speed limit is 40, so you know folks are going 50. It's just not safe when I have no speed left to give in case of an emergency. Will just have to save up and upgrade to a 150 someday.

@john c. and scootdaniel - Thanks for sharing your personal experience with this. It's helped me decide to keep the 50 as is, and just upgrade to a 150 later.

@scooter trash - it maxes out at 35-40 depending on terrain, which I'm surprised it does because I'm a big dude (6ft. 270). Step one in increasing speed, hitting the gym, ha!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:13 am 
Scooter Legend

Scooter Model(s): Vespa GTS & PX200E, Allstate Cruisaire
I was just wondering cause I have ridden 50's all over Dallas and Austin with no problem. Honda Metro was no problem. We now have a Vespa et2 two stroke which is really pretty quick. But we had a Vespa lx 50 Which is a 4 stroke that was dangerous it was so slow at getting up to. speed. Honda says the Metro does 40 and the Veps Et2 will do 50
on a flat road (gps says) The important thing is how quick they get there. Also a Buddy 50 two stroke is impressive. Anyway I was thinking you can find a Buddy 50 or a Vespa et2 50 and not be out much extra cash after selling the Tao Tao.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:47 am 
Weekend Buzzer

Yeah, a friend of mine and I rode scooters on Sunday. He has a Metro which is a four stroke like mine, and smoked me coming off the line by about a second.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:27 pm 
Weekend Buzzer

Scooter Model(s): '07 SR50 and '64 Vespa 90 Both Kitted
Got a 70cc Malossi kit on my SR50 Factory. Along with a few other parts.
Stock gearing it will do 60mph wide open and will do 50mph all day long.

Still thinking about gears and a PFI injection kit/head swap. Should double the from the 7hp I have now to the 15-18hp.